How to Create a File Tools Backup in Sage 300 CRE
by Kyle Zeigler, Sage Senior Certified Consultant
Backing up your Sage 300 CRE accounting data is critical to mitigating the risk of data loss. While you no doubt are having your data backed up nightly by a third-party backup process, the only Sage-supported method for backing up your accounting data is through the use of File Tools.
To back up your data using File Tools:
- In Sage Desktop, launch File Tools from Common Tasks > Tools and leave the selection at the default Backup.
- Click Next.
- Select the folder or files to back up:
- To back up the entire data folder from which File Tools was launched, select Add Folder and click OK (no need to navigate to the folder – the folder from which File Tools was launched will be automatically selected).
- To back up individual files, such as the General Ledger or Job Cost master files, click Add Files. You will be presented with the files present in the data folder from which File Tools was launched. Select the desired file(s) to back up and click Open.
- Confirm that the appropriate data folder or file has been selected.
- Click Next.
- Click the Browse button to select a destination. NOTE: Do not store your backups on your server or in your Sage 300 CRE data folder. If you experience a catastrophic failure of your server, your backups will be lost. Instead, create a folder on your local computer or store backups on an external drive.
- Enter an archive name for the backup and click the Append button to add the date/time stamp to the name.
- Click Next. Note that File Tools will complete the following checks:
- Validate files – this will let you know if any potential data corruption is identified in the files you are backing up.
- Check for files that might be overwritten – adding the date/time stamp to your backup will prevent this.
- Ensure files are not in use – files in use will not be backed up. It is best to ask all users to exit Sage 300 CRE prior to beginning the backup. However, if files are in use, you can ask other users to exit the software and then click the Back button and Next button again to refresh the checks.
- Verify space is available for the operation – the .tszip2 file that is created will have a maximum size of about 2 GB.
- Click Next. The list of files to be backed up will be presented. Files can be selected to be skipped at this point if desired.
- Click Next two more times to begin the execution of the backup.
- When the backup has completed, confirm that the Operation Journal reports that the operation was successfully completed.
If you have questions about customizing your Sage 300 CRE software or would like assistance, please call 480.423.8300, or click below: