It’s no surprise that when the Engineering News Record polled its readers last year, Apple’s iPad and iPhone were among the top 10 technology and software products contractors are interested in using most. We talked about that in our blog last March –Contractors Pick Apple iPad, iPhone and iCloud.
With so many contractors interested in using iPads and iPhones, here are five great ways to use mobile technology to expand the capabilities of your construction office in a truck.
1. Record Time and Attendance
“Time,” the IOS or Android App in Sage Construction Anywhere, enables employees and supervisors to:
- Replace paper timesheets with a smartphone or tablet
- Rapidly enter and submit employee time worked on their iPad or iPhone
- Link time-worked to project cost codes
- Review and approve employee hours worked
2. Read Project Documents
“Project Files” in Sage Construction Anywhere makes it easy to access the details you need to make sure the work is done right the first time!
- Access and share project documents on your iPad
- Pull up contracts and files immediately
- Retrieve the most recent version of documents or drawings
3. Check Subcontractor Compliance
Use “Project Reports” in Sage Construction Anywhere, or TimberCloud hosting to access compliance data through your iPad. Take action while the sub is standing right in front of you!
Compliance features in Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate help you to take a more proactive approach towards lien waivers, permits, punch list completion, and insurance.
4. Check Important Details on Photos and Plans
The New iPad’s Retina Display is 2048 x 1536 pixels, more than your HDTV at home! Apple’s iPad 3, Why do I Want One in Construction?
Field-friendly features on the new iPad:
- Photos and plans look much sharper
- Important details are harder to miss
- Zooming in reveals more
- Digital plans can be changed at the site (with iPad blueprint apps)
5. Analyze with Excel (Yes, Excel on your iPad)
With TimberCloud hosting, all of the features of your construction software, and anything else you do on your Windows desktop, are available on your iPad. And, since Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate lets you easily export an inquiry to Excel, you can easily click and copy your inquiry results, including headings, directly to Excel for analysis—on your iPad.
This list is not exhaustive. Innovators and early adopters always find ways to benefit from new technology that were not originally contemplated. 5 Reasons to be the First on the Block
What are some of the ways you use your iPad at the construction site? We’d like to know.