Archiving the Log Viewer in Sage 300 CRE
by Kyle Zeigler, Sage Senior Certified Consultant
Your secret sleuth…
Did you know that for every process started and ended in your Sage 300 CRE system, and all of the steps in between, a log record is created? If you are diligent in reading the print journals produced after every data entry and processing task, you may sometimes see the message, “Errors found – check the System Log in Log Viewer.” These log records provide valuable information about what is happening in your software!
…can slow you down!
The log records are stored in your system files, but can be viewed and searched using Common Tasks > Tools > Log Viewer. What many users don’t know is that these log records pile up over time, causing your system’s Global file to increase in size. The Log Viewer becomes increasingly sluggish to use, sometimes locking up Desktop for what seems like endless minutes when attempting to search for errors. Over years of Sage 300 CRE use, backing up and upgrading your system files takes longer and longer.
Archive for speed
Periodic archiving of your system log can help improve response time in the Log Viewer and reduce the size of the Global folder in your system files. Before archiving the Log Viewer, please keep in mind that the current Log Viewer includes up-to-date logs. To archive only on specific dates, click on the Display option at the top of the Log Viewer and choose Custom to specify the date range to archive. Click Filter to limit the log entries to a specific type. If you have never archived the Log Viewer, depending on how many users access your system and how long you have been using Sage 300 CRE, be prepared for this process to possibly take several hours!
Archive the Log Viewer:
- Have all users exit all Sage 300 Construction and Real Estate applications.
- Make a backup of the Global folder located under C:\ProgramData\Sage\Timberline Office\9.5\Accounting\Global at the server or \\[serversname]\Timberline Office\9.5\Accounting\Global from a workstation.
- Launch the Log Viewer:
- From the Sage Desktop Applications menu, select Common Tasks, Tools, Log Viewer.
- Make changes to the Display date and Filter as stated above if you do not need to archive all the logs entries. What is currently displayed in the Log Viewer will be archived.
- Click on the Archive option.
- Choose the Archive option if you want to archive the log, but still keep the entries in the Log Viewer. Choose Archive and Delete if you want to archive and delete the log entries from the Log Viewer.
- Save the archive file to the destination of your choice.
Compact the Data Files:
- Launch File Doctor:
- From the Sage Desktop Applications menu, select Common Tasks, Tools, File Doctor.
- Select the Compact Good Files check box.
- Select the QL Master file.
- Click Start and when prompted select a location and file name for the File Doctor report.
If you would like assistance archiving your system log, please contact Ledgerwood Associates.